Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR) is the only viable technology suitable for long range remote sensing of submerged targets from high altitude or space ready platforms. Laser Airborne Depth Sounder (LADS) systems are designed to perform hydrographic surveying of shallow coastal and inland water areas, a powerful tool to determine the seafloor depth for topographical data, water column characterisation for oil and gas detection, biomass assessments, and target detection. Current LADS systems operate on aircraft and need a laser with sufficient power to penetrate into the water, the biggest limitation is being able to detect the weak return signal.
Given various ocean parameters can be extracted from Single Photon LiDAR (SPL) signals, we are looking for a Junior Optical Physicist/Engineer that can assist with characterising and profiling the water column for deep ocean. This will enable us to build accurate models for algorithm development to improve a SPL’s target detection capability.
About the position:
We are looking for a Junior Optical Physicist/Engineer that can assist with characterising and profiling the water column for deep ocean. They will make an active contribution to reviewing the existing literature on measured ocean properties and their relationship with turbulences in the deep ocean. They will also assist in preparing and conducting outdoor sea trials and analysing the collected data.
- Bachelors in experimental physics or optical/electronic engineering or equivalent
- Minimum one year experience with optics, laser physics/engineering, photonics or similar experience with report writing
- Familiarity with the programming language Matlab is highly regarded, and C/C++ is preferred
- Requirement to travel around Australia for fieldwork
- Requirement to attend outdoor sea trials on a boat or ship
- Be an Australian Citizen
- Possess or go through the process to obtain and maintain a personnel security clearance of NV1
If you are able to address the above criteria, we would love to hear from you.
Please email your resume, cover letter and academic transcript to email@example.com